The College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics was founded in 1979 with the following purposes:
- to encourage professional development among orthodontists
- to provide a forum for board certified orthodontists to interact scientifically and socially
- to encourage orthodontists to become board-certified, and
- to educate the public and the dental profession on the benefits of board certification.
To address these goals, the College:
- provides family-oriented, continuing education meetings to enhance the quality of orthodontic care available to the public. The College holds an Annual Session where members and nonmembers may attend educational sessions. Registration material will be mailed to members and posted on the Web site www.cdabo.org in March of each year. Check the Web site for specific locations and sessions offered.
- publishes A Step Beyond brochure to explain the meaning of being a diplomate to patients and parents. Board certified orthodontists may order these brochures through The College by calling 888-217-2988.
- hosts a luncheon at the AAO Annual Session to recognize current and new diplomates, also disseminate information about board certification to non-certified orthodontists.
- hosts a case display room at the AAO Annual Session where residents present their best cases in an ABO format.
- publishes The Diplomate newsletter twice a year for CDABO members.
- Publishes the E-zine newsletter twice a year for CDABO members.