The College of Diplomates of the American Board of Orthodontics (CDABO) was founded in 1979 with the following purposes and activities:
- To stimulate improvement among orthodontists.
- To encourage orthodontists to become Certified by the American Board of Orthodontics. (The American Board of Orthodontics is the only specialty board recognized by the American Dental Association and sponsored by the American Association of Orthodontists)
- To educate the public and the dental profession on the benefits of ABO Certification.
To address these purposes and goals the CDABO :
- Provides a family-oriented annual July continuing education meeting for members to enhance the quality of orthodontic care available to the public.
- Publishes The Diplomate newsletter twice each year. The fall issue includes highlights of the annual July meeting.
- Hosts a display room at the AAO annual sessison where residents present their best cases in an ABO format. Space permitting, the American Journal of Orthodontics publishes the best two cases.
- Publishes A Step Beyond brochure which explains the diplomate of the ABO status to patients and parents. (Please contact the CDABO headquarters for an order form)
- Sponsors a recognition luncheon during the AAO Annual Session to honor the directors of the ABO and the various individuals and orthodontic departments who participated or excelled in activities sponsored by the ABO or the CDABO. Spouses, guests and those interested in ABO certification are encouraged to attend. The president of the ABO presents a detailed report to those attending. Tickets can be purchased at the door.